Audre Lorde Scholarship Fund
ZAMI NOBLA is now accepting applications for the 2019 academic year.
Scholarships are granted to Black Lesbians and Lesbians of Color over
40 who are making a significant difference in their communities.
Application Deadline: July 15, 2019
Award Amount: $1,000 or more.
Visit the link below for application and for more information.
What is the Audre Lorde Scholarship Fund
From 1995- 2008, the Audre Lorde Scholarship Fund, founded by Mary Anne Adams and administered by ZAMI: Atlanta’s Premiere Organization for Lesbians of African Descent based in Atlanta, Georgia awarded over $200,000 in scholarships and expenses to out LGBT students of color globally. In 2013, the scholarship fund was re- launched by ZAMI NOBLA to provide scholarship assistance solely to black lesbians and lesbians of color over 40 in the United States
ABOUT THE AWARD
The Audre Lorde Scholarship Awards are designed to recognize out* black lesbians and lesbians of color making significant contributions to their communities. ZAMI NOBLA wants to support and encourage their continuing education by providing scholarships to those women enrolled in accredited technical, undergraduate and graduate programs.
*Out is defined as an acknowledgement of lesbian identify to self, and to family, friends, and community.
- An out black lesbian or lesbian of color who is 40 years old or older attending any technical, undergraduate or graduate school located in the United States
- Accepted or registered at a post-secondary educational institution for full or part-time attendance as defined by the institution
- Cumulative high school/college/or technical school grade point average of 3.0 or higher
Please do not submit an application if you do not meet the eligibility requirements as your application will not be reviewed. No exceptions to the eligibility requirements are considered. The Fund does not offer scholarships for weekend programs, summer sessions, research, special projects, or for study out of the country.
- Submit official/unofficial up-to-date academic transcript(s) supporting the GPA entered on your application. You may send transcripts only from your most recent school(s), provided two semesters of study are included.
- Acceptance letter if you are an entering freshman or transfer student.
- Completion of two(2) of five(5) essay questions outlined in the application.
- Do not combine answers. Each essay answer must be at least a page in length.
- Three(3) letters of recommendations~ one must be from a teacher/ professor, one must be from a supervisor/ mentor, and one from an activist/organizer in the LGBT community. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- A recent photograph suitable for publication; i.e., a cap and gown picture, or other professional quality headshot photograph. We prefer to receive photographs by email. Application will not be accepted if a clean headshot is not enclosed, no exceptions.
Black Lesbians and lesbians of color interested in applying should complete and submit their application online or complete, print, and mail the form to:
P.O. Box 90986
Atlanta, Georgia 30364
If mailed, we cannot confirm receipt of your application; therefore we recommend you use a delivery confirmation and tracking system, such as the USPS registered mail.
We prefer that all application materials be submitted at one time. If the references or transcript(s) are submitted under at separate times, the student is responsible for making sure we receive it on or before the deadline. Incomplete or late applications will not be reviewed, no exceptions. Early applications are encouraged. Recipients may re- apply each year.
Awards are for the current academic year only and by law are paid directly to the recipient and the academic institution. Please send proof of official registration to ZAMI NOBLA at the beginning of the school year.
A scholarship committee reviews applications. Finalists may be invited to participate in a telephone interview.
Checks not processed with the academic institution within 90 days of receipt will be rendered null and void by the Audre Lorde Scholarship Fund.[gravityform id=”1″ title=”true” description=”true”]